Bacon Jam: Salty, meaty, chewy, candy, savoury, smoky, bacony goodness. Bacon is crisped and made into the last word breakfast spread with maple syrup, onions, espresso, brown sugar and pepper. There’s merely nothing better than this on toast with a fried egg on prime!
My love of bacon has been fairly nicely documented (proof of my bacon-obsession). Even so, I can truthfully inform you that Bacon Jam is the my most favourite means to eat it and has been for years.
This unusual-sounding-yet-divine-tasting bacon jam recipe is pretty powerful. How so?
- Whereas this jam was cooking the first time I made this, a neighbor (who we haven’t met for 3 years after we had moved here) came to visit to introduce himself. He didn’t say as a lot, however I assume the odor drew him since he stored wanting over at the range where my pot of bacon jam bubbled away. He visited again soon…
- When my beloved, The Evil Genius, tasted Bacon Jam for the first time, his eyes rolled again into his head and he stated, “Ooooh- Mommy.” which was funny because it appeared like Umami; a top quality with which bacon jam is absolutely packed. Whereas my husband is a meals man, these are reactions that he just doesn’t have. That equals spectacular meals.
- I included little containers of Bacon Jam, some selfmade fruit preserves, crackers, and cheese in charcuterie board present baskets for eight pals this past Christmas. Earlier than the day was up, two of them had already asked me for the recipe. Before the subsequent day was over, five of the others had requested for the recipe. The opposite pal doesn’t prepare dinner.
You’ll be able to be a part of our Bacon Jam Club; it isn’t unique. We would like the entire world to know this joy.
Simply be warned, once you attempt it, it’s just like the mob. There’s no going back.
What Components Do I Need for Bacon Onion Jam?
There’s nothing in Bacon Jam that you simply shouldn’t have the ability to find at a fairly decently stocked grocery retailer. The record is straightforward; bacon, onions, garlic, brown sugar, maple syrup, robust brewed coffee, black pepper, and dried thyme.
The truth is it’s type of a Willy Wonka sort of dish constructed from every-day, widespread elements. I imply, Bacon Jam sounds odd, doesn’t it?
It jogs my memory a bit of the Three Course Dinner gum from the movie Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Manufacturing unit when Violet chews the gum. Shortly earlier than turning right into a human blueberry, Violet raved ecstatically about how she might taste the tomato soup, roast beef, baked potato, and blueberry pie all clearly.
You undoubtedly style the bacon, maple syrup, onion, and brown sugar in Bacon Jam, but there’s nothing bizarre about it in any respect. It’s simply plain superb.
The one factor you possibly can’t really make out once you’re enthusiastic about it’s the coffee. It adds just a little counterpoint to the sweetness with out screaming “I’m coffee!” That is my solemn guarantee as somebody who doesn’t drink coffee.
Should you dislike maple syrup for some purpose, you’ll be able to substitute Lyle’s Golden Syrup or a darkish honey. I, nevertheless, am a maple syrup junkie and prefer darkish maple syrup for my bacon jam but amber syrup may even work.
What kind of bacon ought to I exploit?
As far as which bacon you need to use for bacon jam, this is principally a matter of private choice. Because you’re adding so many different flavours to it, I don’t necessarily advise you to use the costliest bacon you like. Any fairly good bacon will suffice.
I tend to use Wegman’s thick-cut maple or hickory smoked bacon most frequently. Simply keep in mind that whatever flavour you taste in a slice of the cooked bacon shall be concentrated in the Bacon Jam, so select one you like to eat by itself.
Every time I submit about cider vinegar, I inevitably get questions about what I imply. I assume perhaps there are some regional differences in what this specific vinegar is known as.
Apple Cider Vinegar is one other method to refer to it. There are Heinz, Bragg’s, Wegman’s, ShurFine, and so many more manufacturers I can’t even fathom naming all of them.
Bragg’s is my favourite as a result of I really like uncooked apple cider vinegar with the mother nonetheless in it. If, nevertheless, you can’t find apple cider vinegar, you’ll be able to substitute rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar.
What Pan ought to I exploit for my Bacon Jam Recipe?
There are an excellent many recipes floating round that recommend utilizing a slow-cooker, but I favor a dutch oven. The sluggish cooker doesn’t permit for as much evaporation as I feel needs to occur to concentrate all the superb flavour for the last word Bacon Jam.
Years ago, my good friend and I had a dialog about this; she tried making it with a sluggish cooker and I opted for the dutch oven. She transformed to the dutch oven for subsequent makings of the bacon jam.
How to store additional bacon spread
This recipe clearly makes quite a bit since it begins with 3 kilos of bacon. Equally obviously, you’re going to need to think about your storage options.
My most popular storage technique for Bacon Jam is to divide the completed batch into a number of small eight ounce jars or containers with tight becoming lids. I label them clearly and pop all but one into the freezer.
The rationale for that is that bacon jam is highly effective stuff (as mentioned before) and a stretches further than you may assume it might. Due to this, I really like to stick it in the freezer for longer storage.
This manner, that one batch of bacon jam can last me all the spring and summer time for tossing with roasted asparagus, topping toast, and spreading on countless grilled burgers. Then in fall, I make another batch to get me by way of autumn and winter and all of my baked potatoes, toast (it’s a year-round thing for me!), pizzas, and sandwiches.
How do I serve it?
It goes with out saying that Bacon Jam is a pure on the breakfast desk. Prime toast with it and a fried egg. Don’t stop there, although.
If you’d like the last word base on your Bacon Jam, attempt a slice of toasted braided sesame semolina bread, no knead cottage cheese dill bread, Pretzel Bread, Jalapeno Cheddar Bread, or Ham and Cheddar Onion Cornbread.
Bacon Jam is superb spread on toasted buns and topped with hamburgers. It’s additionally fantastic tossed with roasted potatoes, cooked pasta, or on a Fancy Pants Bacon Jam, Spinach, and Egg Pizza or Elvis Sandwich (Bacon Jam, Avocado, and Gorgonzola Toasted Waffle Sandwich.
You should use bacon jam straight from the refrigerator in the event you’re spreading it on one thing that is scorching, however it’s a lot simpler to unfold when you warm it gently in the microwave or in a saucepan first.
If you would like to use your frozen bacon jam, I advise thawing overnight in the refrigerator or defrosting within the microwave first.
- Reduce the bacon slices into one inch strips. Add the bacon to a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Prepare dinner the bacon, stirring ceaselessly, till the bacon is browned. Use a slotted spoon to switch the bacon to a paper-towel lined plate. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings right into a heat-proof jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Place the Dutch oven back over the medium-high warmth and add the onions and garlic.
- Stir nicely and scale back heat to medium. Continue to prepare dinner for about 8 minutes, or until the onions are principally translucent.
- Add the remaining elements, stir properly, and drop warmth again, this time to low.
- Convey to a boil, stirring steadily, and boil onerous for two minutes. After 2 minutes, stir the browned bacon into the onions and liquid.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring sometimes to make certain things aren’t sticking, including 1/four cup of water if it seems to be drying out. When the onions are meltingly smooth and the liquid is thick and syrupy, take away the dutch oven from the heat and let stand for five minutes.
- Switch the contents of the Dutch oven to the work bowl of a meals processor fitted with a blade. Match the lid in place and pulse several occasions or until the Bacon Jam is a spreadable consistency.
- Scrape into a jar (or jars) or a container with a decent becoming lid. Retailer in the fridge for up to one month or the freezer for up to six months. You’ll be able to serve this cold, room temperature, or warm.
Bacon Jam: Salty, meaty, chewy, sweet, savoury, smoky, bacony goodness. Bacon is crisped and made into the last word breakfast spread with maple syrup, onions, espresso, brown sugar and pepper. There’s simply nothing higher than this on toast with a fried egg on prime!
- three pounds bacon
- four giant yellow onions (peeled and thinly sliced)
- eight cloves garlic (smashed with the flat aspect of a knife or a pan and peeled)
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 half cups very robust brewed black coffee
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Minimize the bacon slices into one inch strips. Add the bacon to a Dutch oven over medium-high warmth. Prepare dinner the bacon, stirring often, until the bacon is browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a paper-towel lined plate. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings into a heat-proof jar with a tight-fitting lid.*
- *Save the bacon drippings in the fridge. That’s an excessive amount of taste to trash!
- Place the Dutch oven again over the medium-high warmth and add the onions and garlic. Stir properly and scale back heat to medium. Continue to prepare dinner for about eight minutes, or till the onions are principally translucent. Add the remaining elements, stir properly, and drop heat again, this time to low.
- Deliver to a boil, stirring often, and boil exhausting for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, stir the browned bacon into the onions and liquid.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring sometimes to make certain issues aren’t sticking, including 1/four cup of water if it appears to be drying out. When the onions are meltingly gentle and the liquid is thick and syrupy, take away the dutch oven from the heat and let stand for five minutes.
- Transfer the contents of the Dutch oven to the work bowl of a meals processor that has been fitted with a blade. Fit the lid in place and pulse a number of occasions or till the Bacon Jam is a spreadable consistency. Scrape right into a jar (or jars) or a container with a decent fitting lid. Store within the refrigerator for up to one month or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Might be served cold, room temperature or warmed.
The bacon jam might take up to three hours to scale back to a syrupy consistency. Simply keep it up!
If you switch the Bacon Jam from the food processor into storage containers, I like to recommend utilizing several smaller containers. This manner, you possibly can label and freeze all however one of many containers.
This enables you to have recent bacon jam available for a much longer time.
I originally revealed this Bacon Jam submit January 17, 2011. I up to date it with new pictures and improved notes in April 2019.
The publish Bacon Jam The Ultimate Way to Eat Bacon appeared first on Foodie With Household.